Since reading the very enlightening Douglas book, I’m finding it difficult to think of any accurate representations of the lack of gender equity in TV shows/films. So many of them display fantasies of women in power, as Douglas describes, without capturing what it’s really like to be a woman in everyday America. One show that comes to mind is the recently released Netflix series 13 Reasons Why. This show has been on my mind (and many people’s, it seems) quite a lot lately. It wasn’t without its faults, but I found it to be very triggering and very impactful. More than once, it showed how difficult it can be for a teenage girl who’s trying to navigate high school. For one, the best/worst list that was created. When Hannah Baker was listed as “best ass” on the list, even her most compassionate male friend thought she should take it as a compliment, when really all it did was make her feel uncomfortable and act as an open invitation for male students to se...
Stefany,
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I love how visually pleasing your feature article is! Second, you have definitely chosen a topic that needs some more light shined down on it. The most interesting part of your presentation/discussion last night was when you started discussing the gender neutral dorms (I just wrote a post about my opinion on it). I feel that gender identity gets in the way too much now-a-days and is definitely a topic worth discussing.